WHARTON'S NEWEST TEXAS HISTORICAL MARKER

Photo by Kristy Quijas

The Texas Historical Commission last Saturday recognized Wharton Training School as a significant part of Texas history by awarding it an official Texas historical marker. Dozens of people attended a ceremony at the Wharton Civic Center and the unveiling (shown) outside Just Do It Now. From 1896 until the school closed in the late 1960s, this was the only form of education non-Anglos locally received. Alumni now have the Wharton Training High School & Ex-Students Association, which gives back to the community in the form of scholarships. 

Shown from left are Charles Edwards, Duria Jackson, Carol Myers, Ann Edwards, and Merian Whallow, who make up the Class of 1969. A followup story and more photos will appear in the weekend edition.

 

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.